Academics at Champion
Covers state standards for pre-algebra.
(1 year - 10 credits - grades 7-12)
COURSE OBJECTIVES: Student will be able to:
1. Use a number line to order and round whole numbers, decimal numbers and fractions.
2. Use addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to solve word problems.
3. Add, subtract, multiply and divide decimal numbers.
4. Multiply by powers of 10.
5. Find the area, surface area, perimeter and volume of rectangles, circles, triangles and cylinders.
6. Add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and mixed numbers.
7. Use unit multipliers to convert units of measure.
8. Use unit multipliers (ratios) to solve problems.
9. Determine the average or mean of a group of numbers.
10. Present numerical information in graph form (bar or line graph).
11. Determine the least common multiple of several given numbers.
12. Evaluate mathematical expressions using more than one operation by the order of operations.
13. Evaluate mathematical expressions given variables and their values.
14. Solve equations using the addition-subtraction rule for equations.
15. Solve equations using the multiplication rule for equations (reciprocals).
16. Find the overall average from given information.
17. Be able to find the fractional part of a number.
18. Write number in scientific notation and convert numbers in scientific notation to standard form.
19. Convert numbers from fraction to decimal to percents.
20. Add, subtract, multiply and divide negative numbers.
21. Solve equations using a replacement set.
22. Express ratios in their lowest terms and to solve proportions using whole numbers, fractions, and mixed numbers.
23. Graph inequalities on a number line.
24. Multiply with scientific notation.
25. Determine percents that are less than one hundred and more than one hundred.
26. Write algebraic expressions and solve them.
27. Determine root by the cut-and4ry method.
28. Add like terms in mathematical expressions that contain variables.
MEANS OF STUDENT EVALUATION: